Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Exhort on to Maturity

In my sermon this past Sunday I was preaching about Christmas Miracles and I got held up on one of my points about God knowing where we're at and what we need. During that part God quickened a profound example to use.

My son Elijah has begun to walk, he carefully takes one step after the other but if he gets going to quick he loses his balance and falls. After he falls daddy picks him back up and mister Elijah continues on his path. Here's the kicker, if he gets frustrated and gives up on walking he resorts to the familiar and crawls.

Hebrews exhorts us to maturity, it says we have no need to go over the basics again and again, and again. But what intrigues me is the fact that so many "christians" when the walking gets to be to frustrating they return to that which is familiar. Never allowing their legs to properly strengthen so that they can walk and not fall.

One day my Elijah will walk without stumbling, but only after he keeps working on it and allows his legs to build up strength.

Just a thought

PT

No comments: