Monday, April 23, 2007

Day 36

Today, I found myself asking God when He was going to bring growth to the church. It’s not so much that I’m discouraged, because I’m not. I believe I’m more on the anxious side. I know it’s coming, it’s a matter of when and how. This is what I was asking God. I felt as though the Spirit of the Lord was telling me it will come when it comes. Of course this is not the answer I was hoping or looking for.
As I was praying this evening though, I asked God what scripture He wanted me to read. He told me Luke 10. I turn there and realize that it was the same chapter that I used for a portion of my message this past Sunday. As I browsed through it, I got to the story of Mary and Martha and I heard the Lord say, “did you see that”? So I looked closer, this it what the scripture says;

Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me."
41 But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! 42 There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it--and I won't take it away from her."
NLT

After reading this through a couple of times I heard the voice of God say this is answer to my questions; “don’t concern yourself with the details of growing the church, be more concerned about being in My presence and hearing My word, after all did I not say that I would draw ALL men unto Me!”
There my friends is the million dollar answer to the question of church growth, after all doesn’t the scriptures also tell us to seek His kingdom and righteousness first, then all would be added to us and it also says that unless the Lord builds it those who labor, labor in vain.

Let me close with this last word God gave to me, “if you are a faithful steward with what I have given you, I will cause it to multiply.” God showed me that this isn’t just about talents, gifts, or money; it’s also about the people He has given you.

1 comment:

Neil said...

Grow big people first, big churches come from big people!