Sunday, February 19, 2006

When We Feel Overwhelmed

I must admit, when we brought Elijah home I started to feel a bit overwhelmed. Here I have a screaming newborn, a big sister who wants attention, a wife who is healing and needs assistance, a house that needs to be cleaned, and finally a job.

It got to be a little to much for me to bear, and I began to doubt my capabilities to be a good father and husband. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has felt this way.


2 Cor 12:7-10
And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
NKJV

As usual God reminds me that it’s not in my hands, but His. When I’m weak and tired He is my strength

Matt 11:28-30
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
NKJV

Secondly, it’s not my weight to carry. God wants me to give it up to Him.

Joel 2:32
32 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the LORD, Shall be saved.
For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance,
As the LORD has said, Among the remnant whom the LORD calls.
NKJV

Finally, someone told me that if I needed help to call. Who better then the Lord! I also realize that we bear one another’s burdens. So we don’t have to be afraid or ashamed to ask for help.

So when we are feeling overwhelmed, remember;

God will make a way where there seems to be no way, He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me, He will be my guide, Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength, For each new day, He will make a way, He will make a way

4 comments:

Pastor Jeff said...

I for one most definitely know where you are at, with 3 kids under 6. And one due in June. You know, looking back, I thank God for the strength he has given me, because I certainly would be bald by now from pulling out my hair!. Congrats on the new baby.

Neil said...

Everything changes when you have children, and when the first is small it takes on an entirely new dimension. You are always doing better than you think, you're just so tired and overwhelmed that you can't think!

It will get better, in fact, it already is, you're blogging and sharing what you're already learning...thanks!

Enjoy those babies...they'll be grown before you know it. Kaitlin will be driving next year!

Ti'el said...

Congratulations on little Elijah - very exciting!

Lovely reminder to lean on Father too... must remember that ;o)

Blessings,

Tez.

Libby said...

Might check out Henry's blog. I think he's feeling a little of the same thing just for different reasons. Take a break and don't take on too much right now. Your family needs you more than anyone else at this time. The "job" can live without you for a few days:)